Journeyman needs an experienced Operations Manager to be the gritty, chiseled cornerstone finding the right fit as we grow toward our vision. We will be one of the best brand content creation studios in Canada in the next 5-8 years. We need to grow into a much larger, multidisciplinary team that includes marketing and digital strategy, with studios in Ontario and Western Canada and beyond. It’s a long road ahead, and we need help.
Journeyman has achieved a reputation and influence in many of the important stories that affect our world: energy, health, oceans, regional promotion, and community development. We have a deep library of client work. We’re proud of what we produce, but we believe our best work is yet to be made.
What you bring to the journey:
We need someone who can balance the internal and external resources needed to win business and deliver projects. Unlike traditional agencies, we blend Development, Client Relations and Production across the team. We want our clients to love the work we create, and also to love the experience they have with us. That takes care and coordinated effort.
You are part Project Manager, part Human Resources guru. You have experience as an Operations Manager in marketing or advertising agencies, gaming, video production studios or other creative production environments. You’re the personification of what it means to be organized in leading a team to create. You understand the balance needed in time, resources and effort to deliver a great client pitch or great campaign content. You can keep an eye on all the details without losing sight of the big picture. You can make project decisions based on the business need and the creative intention. Our board of thirty projects, at various stages of production, isn’t intimidating to you because you have all resources aligned to make them happen. And if you can seriously do all this for Journeyman, you’re golden.
- Operations management experience in a related production environment
- Strong business acumen
- Familiarity with project lifecycles in creative development and production
- Demonstrated project management and human resources coordination experience
- Ability to evaluate resource requirements, anticipating periodic constraints and pivots
- Highly organized with extraordinary attention to detail
- Experience planning and managing multiple projects and competing priorities
- Strong collaboration and negotiation skills; being comfortable making tough decisions and able to stand-by that decision
- Superlative communication skills and client relations experience
- Comfortable working with diverse teams and management
- Proficiency with platforms that support project tasks, resources and planning, such as Excel, Harvest, Asana
- Must be legally eligible to work in Canada.
- Maintain project plans and coordinate resources for development and production projects and company initiatives
- Work closely with management and team leads, on short, mid and long-term resource planning
- Anticipate potential resource conflicts and mitigate impact
- Balance short-term demands and long-term objectives aligned with business plan
- Manage resources to project milestones and deadlines
- Drive productivity and value, demonstrated with weekly reporting and metrics
- Understand our skills inventory in-house, and among our collaborator friends
- Recruit and develop talent
What we offer you:
We offer a creative, dynamic environment and a diverse team that is dedicated to developing compelling content for our clients, in a beautiful new, custom-built studio.
We believe in transformation. We challenge everyone who touches Journeyman to grow and develop - to build your story. No matter what your background is, an ambitious company will hone your skills for operations. As a key player on a small, growing team, you will be able to put your stamp on the journey.
Our core purpose is to build prosperity and understanding through the art of storytelling. Prosperity and understanding are results we seek for our clients and for the members of our team. We grow personally as we tackle new subjects, and we build our own prosperity as the company performs well.
Our team is based in a new, custom studio space in downtown Dartmouth, Nova Scotia. We have a comprehensive health and insurance benefits program for members of the team. We have a compensation philosophy intended to reward great company performance through team incentives.
Do some research on Journeyman, then send us your pitch. Share with us your thoughts on these questions:
- Where do you want to go with your life?
- What’s the biggest thing standing in your way to getting where you want to go?
- How are you a fit for this role?
- How can we support you – what do you need from us to be successful?
- What are your three biggest strengths that will take Journeyman further in our story?
- What does it mean to you to be fit, brave, grounded and global?
- What are the main things that motivate you, and how do you wish to be compensated when it comes to benefits and compensation in a workplace?
This position will begin as soon as we can find the right candidate. Please send us a compelling letter/biography that describes how you connect to our company story, and to the questions above, along with a resumé, to firstname.lastname@example.org. Make sure the subject line reads “Operations Manager - [your name]”. We will continue to accept applications until we find the right fit. We sincerely thank anyone who takes an interest in our company, but only those applicants to be interviewed will be contacted.